Published on August 28, 2019
1. Are large scale Salesforce implementations mission possible? Tips, tricks & observations by Jan Malý & Lea Harmady
2. #CD19 Salesforce Expert. 20+ years of experience in technology and business consulting 10+ years of experience in solution & technical design of CRM, ERP, BI, DWH solutions Salesforce Certified Senior Manager, successfully led projects comprising 20 - 80 analysts, consultants and developers. Jan Malý Salesforce Danubia Practice Lead (CZ,SK,HU,RO) Solution & technical design Business analysis, functional design Transformation management System integration Communication, presentation & negotiation skills. User adoption. Program leadership INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE FINANCIAL SERVICES RETAIL AUTOMOTIVE REAL ESTATE CONSUMER GOODS
3. #CD19 Global vs. local implementations approach – selected observations KEY STAKEHOLDERS: SUPPORT NEEDED not only for sale but for the whole implementation dimensions: BUSINESS vs. IT , GLOBAL vs LOCAL teams. Who has ultimate decision making power? EXISTING BUSINESS MODEL, ORGANISATION SET UP, KPIs APPLICATION LANDSCAPE, Legacy systems, DATA QUALITY, MASTER DATA MANAGEMENT RULES ! IMPLEMENTATION DELIVERY MODEL, TOOLS USED USER ADOPTION, PRODUCT OWNERS, LOCAL SPOCs HYPERCARE, LONG TERM SUPPORT, MAINTENANCE
4. #CD19 Local specifics vs. standardization OOTB approach vs customizing BUSINESS PROCESSES & TECHNICAL SOLUTION STANDARDISATION must be hand in hand DO NOT REINVENT THE WHEEL, go OOTB as much as possible ROUGH GUIDANCE FOR ACCEPTING LOCAL SPECIFIC ADJUSTMENTS: 1. LEGALLY BINDING from local point of view 2. It is CRITICAL for SALES or BUSINESS PERFORMANCE 80 : 20 Depends on requirements, but I consider this as good practice for global implementation with harmonization focus VERTICAL SOLUTIONS, 3RD PARTY APPLICATIONS ACCELERATORS (PREBUILD SOLUTIONS, TOOLS, METHODOLOGIES) Standardized : Specific Local
5. #CD19 Strategic Objective Business Objectives Managing key stakeholders. Added Value vs costs. Increase Revenue Grow Operating Margin Increase Shareholder Value Increase lead generation Improve deal pricing # of leads generated Ramp time to proficiencyReduce time to proficiency Avg. deal size per rep Increase lead to oppty conversion Improve opportunity win rate Deal velocityIncrease deal velocity Reduce training costs System training costs Reduce cost of sales Reduce rep turnover Reduce sales ops costs Time to sales integrationImprove post merger integration Reduce manual /admin time Support headcount Improve employee satisfaction Sales rep attrition rate Acquire new customers Increase revenue per rep Improve partner relationships Increase partner revenue Increase ptnr lead to oppty conv Partner lead conv rate Avg. partner deal sizeIncrease ptnr deal pricing Lead Conversion Rate Opportunity win rate Value Drivers Tactics KPIs
6. #CD19 WELL PREPARED AND EXECUTED ONSITE WORKSHOPS, FOLLOWED BY OFFSITE COOPERATION, SCRUM CEREMONIES Engaging key team members, facilitating workshops, getting results • SETUP THESESSIONROOMTOFACILITATEDESIGN ANDDEVELOPMENT • REALTIMEPROTOTYPING • FOLLOW-UPSWHENANSWERSCANNOTBE AGREEDTOINTHESESSION. • SETEXPECTATIONSTHATANSWERSSHOULDBE RECEIVEDPRIORTOTHENEXTVALUESESSION. • SCHEDULEFOLLOWUPSESSIONSWITHREQUIRED RESOURCES.
7. #CD19 Waterfall or Agile ? Iterative hybrid ! Waterfall Agile • CLEAR PICTURE OF THE FINAL PRODUCT • NO ABILITY TO CHANGE SCOPE ONCE PROJECT STARTED • DEFINITION, NOT SPEED, IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS. • RAPID PRODUCTION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN QUALITY OF PRODUCT • WHEN THE ABILITY TO CHANGE THE SCOPE IS NECESSARY • NO CLEAR PICTURE OF WHAT THE FINAL PRODUCT WILL LOOK LIKE Iterative • HIGH LEVEL BUSINESS REQUIREMENTS DEFINED • ABILITY TO DO TRADEOFFS TO SCOPE THROUGHOUT PROCESS BASED UPON VALUE • CLEAR PICTURE OF CAPACITY AND A FINAL DELIVERY DATE.
8. #CD19 Hybrid / Iterative way for delivering projects Build Test Design ITERATIONS INITIATE AND CONFIRM INTEGRATIONS CONVERSIONS INTEGRATION TESTING DEPLOY PROJECT MANAGEMENT CHANGE ENABLEMENT WAVE RELEASE 1...n
9. #CD19 MVP is not the MVP MVP PRODUCTION SELECT HIGH LEVEL USER STORIES (EPICS) FROM PRODUCT BACKLOG AND DEFINE OBJECTIVES FOR MVP CREATE PROVE OF ARCHITECTURE BLUEPRINT AND REFINE USER STORIES ON DoR LEVEL SPRINTS PLAN TO DELIVER MVP CAPABILITY IMPLEMENT TEST AND CONFIRM DoD DESIGN TRAIN USERS E2E TEST SCRUM ITERATION
10. #CD19 Making Salesforce global implementations mission possible – 8 tips and tricks Knowing key stakeholders Strong product owners, Appointing local POCs Harmonizing 80 : 20 RULE OOTB as much as possible Get to know individual KPIs to demonstrate VALUE DELIVERED Waterfall or agile? ITERATIVE HYBRID Pilots, MVPs for speeding up SCOPE, TIME, COST triangle is still valid DATA QUALITY is crucial - MDM Use ACCELERATORS, VERTICAL SOLUTIONS & 3rd PARTY APPS
11. #CD19 8+ years experience within IT industry with focus on Digital marketing 4+ years of Salesforce Marketing Cloud implementations Was responsible for delivery of business & technical analysis of global roll-outs and leading local projects. Lea Harmady Salesforce Marketing Cloud manager Business process & workflow analysis and design Global roll-out coordination Marketing automation Salesforce Sales & Marketing cloud INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE FINANCIAL SERVICES ECOMMERCE & RETAIL CONSUMER GOODS HEALTH & LIFE SCIENCES
12. #CD19 How is SFMC Implementation different? You can deploy any channel - any time (if you have data) Gradual deployment per channel/per functionality is best practice Most of the time you talk to marketing people (rarely to IT)
13. #CD19 Prioritization review Key Elements Partnership Strategy Across ALL LINES of business Discuss strategic PRIORITIES Value CreationExecution Value for CLIENT & END-CUSTOMERS Deliver Tangible RESULTS Internal teams Extended partners Project Approach Scalable Solution Markets Alignment Training Strategy Data Strategy Delivery Methodology
14. #CD19 Case study Innovative global leader with 30+ marketsClient background × Slow time-to-market × Overlapping channels × Poor asset management × Content compliance issues Client issues Global optimization of digital marketing Assessment of markets maturity Product(s) Alignment Methodology testing Client requirement
15. #CD19 Case study Solution Maturity scoring 1. Knowledge 2. Resources 3. Objectives Gradual Deployment Testing Methodology Outcome / Benefits 1 contact person Lead Consultant / Project Manager Global Level Country level Key contacts Brand Alignment - Unified Assets Speed-to-market - Automated campaigns Omni-Channel - Personalized communication Digital Assets - Approval process reduced
16. Thank you!