Published on June 13, 2016
1. Suidae Services
2. Management Services
3. Suidae Management Services Scope of Business Independent swine production clients. Clients farms located in the Midwest: Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota & South Dakota. 30,000 sows across farms from 700-6,200 sows in size. 200,000 grow finish pigs on sites 1,000-6,000 head in size. 150 farm employees or production associates.
4. HELLO MR. PORK PRODUCER I AM THE PETA VICE PRESIDENT FOR ANIMAL CRUELTY INVESTIGATIONS. I AM CALLING TO INFORM YOU THAT FOR THE LAST TWO MONTHS WE HAVE HAD UNDERCOVER INVESTIGATORS ON YOUR FARM AND HAVE IN OUR PRESENCE VIDEO TAPE CONFIRMATION OF INCIDENTS OF ANIMAL ABUSE BEING PERFORMED BY YOUR FARM EMPLOYEES. I WOULD LIKE TO MEET WITH YOU TO REVIEW THIS MATTER TOMORROW IN THE GRAND BALLROOM IN THE DES MONIES HOTEL.
5. What Do I Do Now???
6. Animal Well Being Crises Management Plan Senior Management Involvement Company Legal Resources Involvement Allied Pork Industry Resources Involvement Pork Producer Organization Key Stakeholders in your System Veterinarian and AASV Organization Packers Industry Peers
7. Crises Action Plan How will we interact with PETA officials? Contact person established. Media communication plan established. Company stakeholder and employee communication of incident facts. Company animal welfare policies presented to communicate employee standards of personal conduct.
8. Crises Action Plan Documented compliance of company animal welfare policies for the site/employees of alleged incident gathered together Incident investigation Who will conduct investigation? Suspension with pay of all employees involved? Incident Investigation Questionnaire prepared for use Legal system involvement?
9. Proactively Being in Compliance on Animal Care Programs Meet Pork Common Industry Audit Standards. Recruiting, Background Checks and Hiring Practices. Employee Handbook Conduct Policies. Company Annual Self-Audits of Sites within your System. Adopt Philosophy: “ If in Doubt on any Animal Care Situation-If you would not want a picture of you and the situation on the front page of State Newspaper or as a clip on the Evening News-then Correct the Animal Care Situation Immediately”.
10. Going Forward Action Plan Addressing company employee’s immediate fear to handle animals Improving any procedures, policies or systems regarding animal care Stakeholder assurances of proper animal care Invitation to Stakeholders to come see firsthand your system and policies Invite an unbiased animal care expert to perform an audit of company and farm site animal care procedures Media Communications