Published on June 12, 2019
1. SUBMITTED TO – PROF. BHUPESH SHAH SUBMITTED BY – VISHNU PAWAN GAMINI (141469189) EMAIL ID – [email protected] COURSE – MKM915-MMS DATE OF SUBMISSION – 11TH JUNE 2019 6/12/2019 1
2. 6/12/2019 2 Old spice, a male grooming brand from P&G, released a video to market Old Spice’s Red Zone After Hours Body Wash. According to Old Spice, the product was launched for Men “who want power to seep into their very pores.” The scent of the product usually lasts around eight-hours, an average work day. Old Spice is famous for its hydrating formula which leaves the skin smooth, not dry or tight. Old Spice introduced a new scent inspired product line-up and with a breakthrough advertising campaign, Old Spice is not the lead male body wash & deodorant brand in the United States. Source: OldSpice. https://oldspice.com/en. Accessed 12 June 2019.
3. This campaign is also referred to as “The Man Your Man Could Smell Like” was created by the advertising agency Weiden & Kennedy. The new campaign promoting the body wash directly focuses on women. It focuses on educating women on how their man could smell like. The campaign also targets the male audience on how they have to be crazy on not wanting to smell like the Old Spice Guy. Old Spice was getting out dated. Almost every young man in America has a memory of his grand father or father’s aftershave fragrance. Old Spice wanted to change this situation and wanted to attract young consumers by updating it’s brand image. Hence, the campaign. 6/12/2019 3
4. 6/12/2019 4 This simple, funny campaign sold directly to ladies. It was a triumph and the star Isaiah Mustafa took it to social media. The organization launched 186 video reactions that picked up 11 million views resulting in making the campaign viral. Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE
5. Recipient of the 2010 Cannes Lions Film Grand Prix and an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Commercial. More than 2000 people sent reactions within a 48 hour period and nearly 200 personalized video responses were created and posted to Youtube. These videos have been viewed more than 46 million times. Approximately 105 million Youtube views of the campaign. 1.2 billion earned media impressions. 2700% increase in Twitter followers and 800% increase in Facebook fan interaction. 300% increase in traffic to https://oldspice.com/en It became the #1 Most Viewed Sponsored YouTube Channel. 6/12/2019 5Source: 20 of the Best Marketing Campaigns of All Time. https://www.bluleadz.com/blog/20-of-the-best- marketing-campaigns-of-all-time. Accessed 12 June 2019.
6. The campaign definitely managed to become successful and surely changed the mindset of its younger target audience. I believe that the actor Isaiah Mustafa is fit and maintained the humour level throughout the commercial is the reason behind many people appreciating it. Alhough the campaign was initially launched to market Old Spice’s Red Zone After Hours Body Wash, it expanded to many other products due to the immense success. The main problem which Old Spice was facing has been eliminated as Mustafa completely changed the brand image of the company, making it more appealing to youngsters and also to women to buy the product for their men. What really helped the commercial to stand out was it spoke directly to the audience in a humorous way. Also it goes into one’s self image reaffirming masculinity. 6/12/2019 6
7. According to me, the most interesting issue about Old Spice case is that they did the almost impossible by attracting younger audience which completely changed the face value of the company. They managed to attract both men’s attention as well as inducing an urge for females to buy the product for their men. Thanks to this excellent and innovative campaign, Old Spice has completely restablished it’s brand image resulting in huge growth for the company. 6/12/2019 7
8. OldSpice. https://oldspice.com/en. Accessed 12 June 2019. Old Spice. Old Spice | The Man Your Man Could Smell Like. YouTube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE. Accessed 12 June 2019. 20 of the Best Marketing Campaigns of All Time. https://www.bluleadz.com/blog/20-of-the-best-marketing-campaigns-of-all-time. Accessed 12 June 2019. 6/12/2019 8