Published on June 7, 2016
1. PR Hacking How to Build a Relationship that Converts to Sales
2. Agenda •Why do PR •Strategy for your PR •How to hack your PR @shiraabel
3. 3 Why do we need PR?
4. 4 Do you have a product to sell?
5. 5 For your product to sell people need to know it exists
6. 6 PR builds awareness in a wide audience quickly
7. Hi, I’m Shira (@shiraabel) @hunterandbard
8. I’ve been doing marketing in tech companies for a long time @hunterandbard
9. I’m a mentor at 500 Startups, & was a Founding Mentor at Google Campus, and Microsoft Ventures Accelerator @hunterandbard
10. And I have an MBA from Kellogg School of Management @hunterandbard
11. PURPOSE OF PR Why are you doing PR?
12. Why Do PR? • Looking to raise money • Hiring • Creating awareness in the market • Downloads of your app / Sales • Signalling to competitors @shiraabel
13. What is Earned Media & PR • Blog posts that you write and submit for publishing (how-to’s are great for this) • Coverage from any media (radio interview, blog post, news article, etc) • Mentions from others that you didn’t pitch • Evangelists who are well known (imagine Oprah mentioning you to her minions) @shiraabel
14. Why Earned Media & PR • Exposes you to big numbers all at once • Gives a spike of traffic • May be strategic instead of pure growth (e.g. TechCrunch might not be the target market, but it’s what VCs read) • Has a strong trust rate @shiraabel
15. The Holy Trinity of Marketing Online GREAT PRODUCT Earned Media / PR Relationship Marketing SEO / Ads / Affiliate @shiraabel
16. PR STRATEGY What is your goal?
17. Performance Measurement • Is your objective SMART: specific, measurable, achievable, realistic & time specific? • What are your strategic initiatives? – Build awareness – Expand distribution (i.e. increase downloads) – Get more funding – Hire great people • How will you measure (KPIs)? – Traffic – Sales – Applications – Interest from VCs @shiraabel
18. Your Goal Determines Strategy If you want to raise money, pitching to mommy bloggers won’t help. Unless one of them just raised a fund. @shiraabel
19. HOW TO DO PR Let’s get to the nitty gritty
20. Your List is Gold •Journalists •Analysts •Influencers @shiraabel
22. How to Do Earned Media & PR • Get to know media & bloggers on Twitter long before launch • Give • 2 weeks before launch ask if they would be willing to check out your product (consider an embargo) • I’ve heard of success from mass emails (luckiest woman I’ve ever met – only case of success I know) • KEEP YOUR ASK SHORT @shiraabel
23. Sample Email
24. Tools You Need • Google Alerts: ✴Who is covering your competition? ✴Who owns your keywords? • SimilarWeb ✴What are your keywords? ✴What is your competition focusing on 24
25. Content is Media • Guest blogging is one of the best ways to do this • Webinars / Presentations with bigger partners that give helpful industry related information (think Crunched and its Growth Hacker series) • Create an infographic for others to share @shiraabel
26. Writing - What Do You Read? • No one cares about your company • People are busy • They care about what they need for work or life • Don’t waste their time • Speak to the journalist with respect @shiraabel
27. Get Emotional • Fear – Insurance • Guilt – Mother’s Day • Trust – Financial institutions • Value – Matching prices • Belonging – Part of our community • Competition – Doing better than the Jones’s • Instant Gratification – I want it now • Leadership – Early adopter & evangelist • Trendsetting – What are the leaders doing? • Time – Save time @shiraabel
28. International Markets • Americans spell correctly. However, the British disagree. There are more Americans than British ☺ (localize your English – even when it’s for Australians) • Spelling and grammar count – mistakes lower trust levels in all languages and cultures • Find someone from the culture you’re aiming to sell to, who knows marketing – to do your marketing. OR – go there & live for a bit. Understanding culture is critical. @shiraabel
29. Boomerang in Gmail @shiraabel This helps you remember to send that follow up email.
30. Sidekick by Hubspot @shiraabel Find out when the email you sent was opened by the recipient.
31. Connect! • @shiraabel • http://www.linkedin.com/in/shiraabel • http://www.facebook.com/shiraabel • https://plus.google.com/u/0/+ShiraAbel/ posts • http://www.instagram.com/shiraabel • http://www.pinterest.com/shira_abel
32. Hat tip:
33. References & Reads • All of the stock photos are taken from http://thestocks.im/ • THANK YOU’S: Heather Meeker from http://meekerquinn.com/ • http://uxmovement.com/forms/why-users-fill-out-less-if-you-mark-required-fields/ • http://dancounsell.com/articles/prompting-for-app-reviews • http://agevik.se/post/72876032312/20-lessons-about-making-viral-apps-i-learned-the-hard • http://contentmarketinginstitute.com/2011/09/web-content-conversions/ • http://www.slideshare.net/startuplessonslearned/eric-ries-the-lean-startup-google-tech-talk • http://www.slideshare.net/gzicherm/nir-eyal-hookedatgsummit • http://www.businessmodelgeneration.com/canvas • http://www.briansolis.com/2008/08/socialization-of-your-personal-brand_28/ • http://www.avc.com/a_vc/2004/03/its_a_small_wor.html • http://www.quora.com/Udemy/How-did-Udemy-get-11-000-courses-online-so-quickly • http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Three-Wolf-Short-Sleeve/product-reviews/B002HJ377A • http://www.amazon.com/BIC-Cristal-1-0mm-Black-MSLP16-Blk/dp/B004F9QBE6 • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QmCUDHpNzE • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUG9qYTJMsI • http://www.macadamia-apps.com/app-launch-7-mistakes-to-learn-from/ • http://flowingdata.com/2011/09/18/yoda-pie-chart/ • http://blog.bitly.com/post/9887686919/you-just-shared-a-link-how-long-will-people-pay • http://www.briansolis.com/2011/09/whats-the-r-o-i-a-framework-for-social-analytics/ • http://www.slideshare.net/setlinger/altimeter-social-analytics081011final • Breakthrough Marketing Plans • http://www.seomoz.org/blog/tracking-the-roi-of-social-media • http://ideas.deloitte.ca/blog/2011/09/social-media-going-beyond-roi/ • http://www.jeffbullas.com/2011/09/20/the-10-key-mistakes-many-bloggers-and-writers-make/ • http://www.jeffbullas.com/2011/03/01/the-10-best-facebook-campaigns/ • http://www.facebook-studio.com/ • http://www.seomoz.org/blog/tracking-the-roi-of-social-media • http://marketingfortomorrow.com/tag/marketing-tone/ @shiraabel
34. Thank you!