Published on November 8, 2014
Gives an idea about current Retail Scenario in india
1. Retailing Scenario in India Digin George
2. What is India? India Provides one of the last, largely un tapped consumer market in the world A trillion Dollar economy growing at 8-9% 60% of population is below 30 years Consumption opportunity is $445 Billion Its More than a country… 28 states,8 Major Religions,6000 Casts,72 Major festivals 16 cities contribute to over 75% of FMCG sale in modern trade
3. Do you know? Our population growth is slowing Literacy is growing Growth in consuming class Poverty is declining Productivity is rising Per capita is doubling 2nd rank in consumer confidence
4. Retail Vs India Largest and fastest growing sector in India. Modern retailing forms one point stop for all shopping. Consumer gets a large product variety of brands to choose from one roof. First it was a sellers market and now its changing to buyers market.
5. Some of the Key Players in Organised Retail
6. International Retail: At a Glance 38% 27% 8% 13% 3% 2% 9% USA EU Japan China India Russia Others
7. Retail Sector in India Retail Organized 3% Unorganized 97 %
8. Share of Organized Retail
9. SWOT Analysis
10. Strength Increasing demand driven by the country’s young working population Increase in per capita income which in turn increases the household consumption Create win-win situation for all links in value chain ( suppliers, producers, retailers and customers). Improvement in the standard of living. Technology intensive industry
11. Weakness Lack of expertise in Supply Chain Management Inadequate Infrastructure Stringent Labour Laws Lack of specialized professionals in Industry Lack of industry status. Government Restrictions on FDI Non-Availability of Government Land.
12. Opportunities Change in consumer behavior pattern and increase in disposable income. Indian rural markets offer a sea of an opportunity for the retail sector. Upcoming international Players Healthy prospect for the fashion industry.
13. Threats Indian taxation system favors small retail business. Competition from unorganized Sector to the organized Sector. Middle class Psychology. Increasing Real Estate prices
14. Conclusion Huge Scope for Development Competitive Market Organized retail is fast growing at a rate of 30% YOY Greater opportunity for employment
16. References Swapna Pradhan:Retail Management, ,Tata McGraw Hill,New Delhi You tube : India's Retail Industry A Perspective From Future Group