Published on November 10, 2014
In American Renewal by, Steven Hook, “the first requirement of intelligence is timely delivery of relevant information to decision makers. To accomplish this mission decision makers must understand how intelligence works, take responsibility for investing in it, and share their strategies and tactics, specifies what they need and when. For its part to assist in going advantages over adversaries, intelligence has to focus on delivering enough information for the decision, not necessarily comprehensive knowledge”. The prime task assigned to CIA was to preserve the American interest and keep a sharp eye on its rivals. During cold war the greatest threat to American interest was from USSR and pro-communist states in the world. CIA carried out its clandestine services using different strategies. Assuming a power of influence in making policies according to its will, its role changed gradually from the traditional espionage activities. The conundrum of its covert operations at some time thought harmful for the state. Its transformation into a paramilitary force likely after 9/11 was also a matter of great concern. Using the advanced and bold technology CIA can operate in every state of the world. Everything beyond limitations is just devastating.
The unveiled stories about CIA during the cold war era and after 9/11 gave a clue about the influential role in shaping foreign policy. Mostly during the Democrats regime the influence of CIA and Pentagon have less influence in policy making than that of the republican regime. Along with traditional espionage CIA also operated covert actions from the beginning. From regime change to targeted manhunt and military operations CIA became quite controversial at every level. Some previous CIA officials say its function is to violate the laws of other states to gain intelligence. It shows that CIA has no moral grounds and gave no worth to any law. It even violates its own domestic law about torturing the suspected criminals. Its influence in domestic politics and FP in a democratic superpower is unjustified. The infiltration and intrusion within other states may escalate and prolong the crisis. The role of CIA in fighting war on terror and establishing peace at global level is considerable. The exploit of the policy makers by manipulating information also a concerning issue.
In Pakistan the infiltration of CIA operatives had been increased to a considerable level. It may also influence the domestic issues of Pakistan through different means. The infusion of these operatives should be refined and under the counter surveillance of Pakistani spy agency. CIA will remain quite active in Pakistan due to its geographic position and changing interest of great powers as Obama’s pivot to Asia policy. China’s surveillance also a factor for CIA to remain active in Pakistan as it may pose a threat to the American might in near future.
2. Collection, Analysis and use of Information against aggressive adversaries. William J. Donovan => July, 1941 => Office of Coordination of Information. President Harry Truman => ‘National Security Act 1947’. The prime function is to collect information to secure their national interest. To protect the Americans and their interest around the world.
3. After involvement of USA in 2nd World War, OCI transformed into ‘Office of Strategic Studies’ headed by William Donovan and carried out retaliatory action against the Pearl Harbor, Dec 7,1941
4. Directorate of Intelligence: CIA has been separated into four functionary elements: Refinement of incomplete information regarding security. National Clandestine Service: National authority for coordination among American convert operations. CIA Directorate of Science and Technology: Intelligence problems solved with bold technology. Director of Support: provides everything the agency needs.
5. During the cold war era CIA was playing a pivotal role in gathering information to frame policies against any aggression against United State of America. CIA carried out the surveillance of Soviet Union and other pro-communist states around the globe. Fidal Castro; Cuban communist(Marxist) politician. Cuba; PM (1959-1976), President (1976- 2008)
6. The vicissitude strategies of CIA during the cold war made it more viable and influential. The Cuban Missile crisis also has strings linked with CIA. The spy agency is blamed for its involvement in the covert action against Fidel Castro a pro-communist leader of Cuba. The directorate of operations even not consulted directorate of intelligence regarding
7. The primary task for CIA was to contain the spread of Communism around the globe and the military activism of Soviet Union. CIA send reconnaissance balloons equipped with cameras fifty thousand feet over the Soviet Union and communist China, hoping that some would drift to the other side of the country and bring back photos of military installations or factories.
8. CIA was blamed for inadequate intelligence collection regarding security threats to USA. Before 9/11 the American foreign policy was mainly constituted by the state department, making alliances, cooperation and counterterrorism. It changed after the incident of 9/11 as many other agencies had been involved in making policy input to high level policy making authorities. The director of CIA was becoming a head of paramilitary force carrying different operation to kill the Al-Qaida affiliates. Armed drones started attacks in Afghanistan in February 2002. Reminded the devastations of Pearl Harbor
9. CIA is independent from its formal authorities and achieves its goals around the globe through different channels and influential means. The level of independency and unaccountability is harmful for future peace makers. For future peace and democracy in spirit, the role of agencies should be constrained. It must be accountable to the democratic government.
10. Pakistan faced a stark choice, either it with us or it is not. So, Pak declared herself frontline ally with US in combating Terrorism. United States caused “deep introspection” in Islamabad. Terrorist groups fled in Tribal Areas of Pakistan, Which infiltrated large no: of officials to targeted manhunt(allowed in CIA) ‘The Way of The Knife’ that “the CIA director was now a military commander running a clandestine global war. Tenet began to bulk up the CIA’s paramilitary teams in Afghanistan, and he sold the White House on a program to capture terrorist, hide them in secret jails, and subject them to an Orwellian regiment of brutal interrogation methods” –Robert Mazzeti
11. The American SEALs got Bin- Laden in Abbottabad during a raid on a suspecting compound after long time of surveillance. The Pakistani armed and civilian authorities instead of taking the matter as the violation of our sovereignty congratulated them for a successful operation. The sole operation inside the territory of Pakistan shows the level of submissive behavior and dependency upon USA by Pakistan.
12. Davis was assigned to collect information about Lashkar-e-Tayabba, their operational activities etc. After killing two innocent Pakistani’s in Lahore he was treated as a diplomat and CIA didn’t accepted his affiliation with it. CIA Agent consulate in Lahore
13. “Leon Panetta (Dir. CIA) cut Cameron Munter (Ambassador and Head of Terrorism mission in Pakistan) off midsentence, telling that the CIA had the authority to do what it wanted in Pakistan. It don’t need to get the ambassador’s approval for anything, I don’t work for you. “ This shows the level of accountability and sole power of CIA to control these operations inside Pakistan.
14. The unveiled stories about CIA during the cold war era and after 9/11 gave a clue about the influential role in shaping foreign policy. Along with traditional espionage CIA also operated covert actions from the beginning. From regime change to targeted manhunt and military operations CIA became quite controversial at every level. Some previous CIA officials say its function is to violate the laws of other states to gain intelligence. It shows that CIA has no moral grounds and gave no worth to any law. It even violates its own domestic law about torturing the suspected criminals. Its influence in domestic politics and FP in a democratic superpower is unjustified.
15. Agencies should have some restraints and should abide by laws domestically or internationally. Throughout its history, CIA was blamed several times interfering in other countries covertly. It also involved in domestic issues. After 9/11 its operational functions had been changed mostly to paramilitary operation force.