Published on June 10, 2016
1. Seoul Brewing Case Team 2: Jennifer Jacobson, Grahm Saunders & Mike Toney
2. The Setup: • Golden & Seoul Brewing entered into a business collaboration • Mr. Kim (Seoul) and Mr. Gillespie (Golden) are the agents • Mr. Kim has sent a letter to Mr. Gillespie Discuss: What are some initial reactions to the letter?
3. Problem 1. Problem 1. Mr. Kim Purchased $600 worth of suits for Mr. Gillespie -Golden caps gifts at $50
4. Brainstorm Prob. 1 What cultural considerations should Mr. Kim be aware of How should Mr. Gillespie respond?
5. Our Solution: Problem 1. -Customary to give a gift in Korean culture -”Face” -Golden Brewing caps gifts at $50 -large power distance -feminine culture So, thank and respectfully decline -tied back to company policy
6. Problem 2. -Agreement requires pre-authorization of any changes -Oriental Brewing is producing something similar
7. Brainstorm Prob. 2 How should Mr. Gillespie respond to Seoul’s changes and testing in its new beer?
8. Our Solution - Utilized “we” in speaking about the collaboration - Warned rather than threatened - Appealed to respect of rules
9. Conclusion • Cultural Competency is learned – not an inherent trait • Investigate the culture you’re doing business with • “mirror” their actions in your responses • However, this may sometimes be impossible to do. Additional Resources Questions or Comments?