Published on June 9, 2016
1. Can I book a room tonight? Hi James. We have a room available tonight - room rate $219+tax. Hyatt Regency Hotel San Francisco FUTURE OF CHAT BOTS
2. TechCrunch says bots could be more important than the App Store SOCIAL
3. 2016 - THE YEAR OF BOTS MANY MAJOR MESSENGERS LAUNCH BOTS May 2016 SKYPE 600M Users Web bots only March 2016 KIK 200M Users June 2015 TELEGRAM 100M Users April 2016 FACEBOOK MESSENGER 900M Users
4. PC SMARTPHONES MESSAGING WEBSITES APPS BOTS “APP FATIGUE” DIFFICULT TO GET USER’S ATTENTION 65% OF USERS DOWNLOAD NO NEW APPS
5. 4 Largest Social Networks 4.1 BILLION USERS around the world are on Instant Messaging apps Sources: BI Intelligence, Jan. 2016 and Statista, April 2016 MESSENGERS SURPASSED SOCIAL 4 Largest Social Messaging Apps
6. Telegram and KIK both have bot stores
7. Facebook is at the very beginning - it is a “BETA” of bots and needs to evolve Bots really are just newly hatched… Facebook Messenger Telegram LAUNCHED BOTS April 2016 March 2016 June 2015 OWN BOT STORE just links since 2016 since 2015 INPUT Galleries selection (3 options) Keyboard + Links (many options) Keyboard + Links (many options) GROUP CHAT OWN IDENTIFICATION Own Kik.js BILLING Partner
8. WhatsApp is the world’s #1 messenger with 1 Billion users and it doesn’t even have messaging bots yet. But even WhatsApp has declared already (Jan ’16) that they will include business/brand communication options sooner than later.
9. KLM Sephora AliExpress CNN GOOD EXAMPLES OF WORKING BOTS SO FAR All of them still need major improvement in terms of UX / MX (Messaging Experience) / BMX (Bot Messaging Experience) Skyscannner TechCrunch NBA
10. EVOLUTION OF BOTS MOVING FORWARD 2016 Bot Compatibility On all Platforms 2 – 5 Years from Now Majority of daily mobile tasks become bot- assisted 2015 Bots Launch In First Social Platforms Next 18 Months ▪ Users learn to adopt and use bots ▪ Companies continue to develop bots
11. BIGGEST TOPIC: eCommerce KIK MESSENGER FACEBOOK MESSENGER WECHAT / WEIXIN LINE WHATSAPP OWNER Ted Livingston, Union Square Ventures, RRE, Spark Capital, Tencent Facebook Tencent Naver Corporation Facebook ACTIVE USERS 80 Million 800 Million 650 Million 215 Million 1 Billion USE OF BOTS AND AI 80 promoted chat bots Testing M, an assistant that carries out tasks Huge list of retail partners Reportedly working on a digital butler None CAN YOU HAIL A CAB? DEMOGRAPHIC North American Teens North American Teens Asian, mostly Chinese, 25-34 years old Asia-Pacific & Middle East, 16-44 years old Latin America, Middle East, Asia, 16-54 years old
12. BIGGEST TOPIC: eCommerce eCommerce is by far the best bot use-case, ranging from ordering food, flowers, shoes, fashion, accessories, flights, hotels, and all other services. The rise of bots will be fueled largely by services & commerce.
13. CHAT BOTS MEET ASSISTANTS CHAT BOTS & CHAT BOT PLATFORMS PERSONAL ASSISTANTS Siri, Google Assistant, Microsoft Cortana HARDWARE PLATFORM Mobile & Desktop, Amazon Echo, … CENTRAL, PLATFORM, OPEN ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE AKA “BOT NET”
14. THE FUTURE OF BOTS IS IN AI THE BASIC Keywords & Commands THE SIMPLE Support decision making THE PERSONAL Personalisation and NLP THE COMPLEX Turing Test 1 2 3 4 NARROW AI GENERAL AI
15. A relatively new and very competitive playfield for both companies. What about Apple? GOOGLE vs. FACEBOOK GOOGLE’S FUNDAMENTAL ASSETS Android, Google Search, Google Chat App Allo, Google Now. Google could easily use Android to make its functionality more deeply native and build a bot platform over that. FACEBOOK’S FUNDAMENTAL ASSETS WhatsApp, Messenger, and its Bot Store Facebook could use the platform element to empower other developers and brands to win.
16. BOTS Standalone conversation-machines, pushing boarding passes, status updates and other automated messages. No humans involved. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE Beyond bots. Using smart data to always learn and improve. Support agents with suggested answers, use data collected on the customer to give a personal, fast and correct answer.
17. KLM BOT FOR FACEBOOK MESSENGER Used more than 115.000 times in the first month! BOOKING CHECK-IN BOARDING PASS
18. SOCIAL FIGHT AT THE TOP LEVEL Mark Zuckerberg announces building his own “J.A.R.V.I.S“
19. Facebook announced 10 000+ PLATFORM DEVELOPERS ARE WORKING ON BOTS
20. IT’S ONLY THE BEGINNING Very few bots are up and running, and the ones that are, are not exactly brilliant. We need a quick evolution of smart bots that are able to carry out more elaborate operations in fewer steps.
21. Facebook’s approach to building a semi-open platform vs. Google’s closed “Google NOW” ecosystem WALLED GARDEN? The question is which of them will turn out to be best?
22. WORKING ON YOUR OWN BOT?
23. BOT OPPORTUNITIES: LIMITLESS COMMUNITY SOFTWARE ENTERTAINMENT ECOMMERCE INTERNET OF THINGS
24. SOFTWARE ENTERTAINMENT ECOMMERCE INTERNET OF THINGS COMMUNITY
25. Bots are becoming the #1 thing in digital business We will build a bot net which will help a majority of daily mobile tasks become bot- assisted
26. For more insights follow janrezab on the these channels: BUILD YOUR OWN BOTS! Subscribe to Social Media Minute Channel on YouTube, every Monday morning